Emcar
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Receive our latest offers and updates on upcoming events
Free Sign Up
 
  Videos  
     
     
 
About Us
About Us - History
  1898   As one of the very first companies to be registered in Mauritius (Certificate of Incorporation no. 14), Engineering and Cycle Works commenced trading in 1898 in Car and Bicycle Sales and Repairs, in addition to engaging in the import and resale of Dunlop branded tyres. The company thus became the very first importer and reseller of Dunlop tyres in the Southern Hemisphere.
 
     
  1912   In 1912, Engineering and Cycle Works was taken over by The Electric and Motor Car Co Ltd, which at the time counted forty skilled men as part of its workforce. Some of the Company’s most popular imports featured the Darrack, De Dion, Flanders and Ford car makes, the Phelon & Moore and “F.N” motor cycles, in addition to the Raleigh Cycles (MacMillan).  
     
  1956   The Company was bought by the Harel Mallac Group and Mr Reginald Rogers. Following this acquisition the Companies’ activities were further expanded to include the introduction of Fiat Cars and the Suzuki and MBK brands in Mauritius.
 
     
  1970   The company started exporting sugar both in bulk and in containers. Around the same time, it also set up the Emcar shipping business in order to support it. For years the Company collaborated closely with Besta lines, a Russian Company and liner Companies, as well as acted as agent for many other shipping lines.  
     
  1975   The Electric and Motor Car Company’s name was changed to Emcar Ltd and was incorporated as a Public Limited Company.  
     
  1976   Emcar Ltd’s offices burnt down in the great Harel Mallac fire, thus slowing down business considerably.  
     
  1978   With new offices in Bell Village, Emcar Ltd fully re-opened for business.  Business units were well defined and helped to shape and mould what was then, and what continues to be today, Emcar’s  core activities:
  • Motorcycles
  • Ductile Pipes
  • Sports Equipment
  • Shipping
  • Tyres
  • Workshop and Spare Parts
 
     
  1993   Opening of a branch in Flacq  
     
  1996   In addition to its existing tyre business, Emcar launched its tyre retreading service with the opening of Emcar Manufacturing.  
     
  2000   Emcar became a family owned business when Mr Reginald Rogers and family bought out Harel Mallac’s shares in Emcar.  
     
  2001   Opening of a branch in Rodrigues  
     
  2002   The Sports division underwent considerable expansion and development in its activities, including the introduction of golf products and accessories.  
     
  2004   Emcar acquired distribution rights to the Goodyear tyre brand through its purchase of the IBL company, Wingfoot. Setting up tyre operations under the name of Hi-Q, Emcar become a Franchisee of the South African Company.  
     
  2011   Opening of Emcar Sports branch in Tamarin  
     
  2012   Opening of an Emcar Branch in Motorcity, Circle Square Forbach.
Opening of 2 more Emcar Sports Branch in Trianon Shopping Mall, Trianon & Mont Choisy Shopping Promenande, Grand Bay
 
     
  2013   Emcar now operates under the following structure:

Emcar Co Ltd:
  • Emcar Motorcycles and Quad Bikes
  • Emcar Marine and Power Products
  • Emcar Sports
  • Emcar Workshop and Spare Parts
  • Emcar Rodrigues
  • Emcar Flacq
  • Emcar Forbach
  • Emcar Shipping
  • Emcar Ductile Pipes and Fittings
  • Emcar Construction Equipment
HiQ:
  • Wingfoot Company

Tyre Retreading:

  • Emcar Manufacturing Ltd
 
     
  2016   Emcar Tyres is now created.
Emcar Manufacturing Ltd has been transferred to Wingfoot Co. Ltd. Two departments are created : Tyre Bay Management & Tyre Retreading.
Himoinsa, multinational leader in the power generation,  is a new brand represented by Emcar Ltd.

 
         
      Back to top  
Copyright © 2009 - 2017 Emcar. All rights reserved • Design by eServices